Psycho

Written on November 16, 2010 – 1:49 pm | by jwolpoe

This was my first time seeing Psycho all the way through, and whoa. First of all, the driving scene (which I have seen before, but without context) was absolutely brilliant -there is nothing inherently suspenseful about a woman driving a car, but the music was basically yelling, “THIS IS A SUSPENSEFUL AND TENSE EXPERIENCE.” And the voices served to give us an insight into Marion’s point of view, without  a heavy-handed crossover. We experienced her panic alongside her, and by the time the policeman was rapping at her window, we could totally understand why she was so flustered and suspicious – she was on a constant adrenaline-fueled panic-high, and she hadn’t said a word since she left the office.

I also found Norman Bates to be a much more sympathetic character at the beginning of the film. He didn’t strike me as creepy or scary at the beginning – just a little sad. I thought he might have something like mild aspergers or something similar, slightly disconnected from normal society and odd hobbies. So I somehow managed to be pretty shocked during the big reveal, and while most of classroom laughed I literally jumped in my chair.

1. 3 Responses to “Psycho”

2.   By puilai Chan on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Yea, I think the driving scene of Marion is very attracted and mystery because of her facial expression and the background music are making me feels like intensity.And about Norman, I think he is a poor character because he can’t control himself for not killing people. I think Norman’s childhood was really unhappy and it might be something happened to him so I want this movie can talk about more details of Norman for understanding what things turn him into a devil….

3.   By zen629 on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

4.   By kevinvelez on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree as well, the driving scene was a really tense scene. It was so well done that I didn’t really look into it at all about like how you said it’s just a girl driving a car. And even though I laughed when Norman’s “mother” was revealed…. I was spooked. And I totally get what you’re talking about with being sympathetic for Norman, he wasn’t really a bad guy.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.