Written on the Wind – Marylee and Color

Written on November 8, 2010 – 9:56 am | by jwolpoe

It took me a minute when watching the film to realize that Marylee was Kyle’s sister, because while Kyle acted far rougher than his status, at least he typically wore suits. Marylee’s first outfit looked high-quaility enough, but it was so pink. And while the dress itself wasn’t very inappropriate, the way she wore it made it seems so. In fact, it seemed that way with most of Marylee’s clothes – that no matter how appropriate or not they may have been, she over-sexualized them just by wearing them, even when she was alone.

The most memorable image I have of her, however, is when she invited Mitch into the car so she could drive him back after Kyle ditches them at that first scene. She is wearing the absolute pinkest dress, sitting in a vividly red car and just oozing sex at Mitch, who clearly wants no part of it. When he got into the car, it was a clear message of how much power she (and her family) had over poor Mitch and his life.

P.S. I watched The Big Sleep in another Media Studies class, and I spend this whole movie trying to figure out where I knew both Lauren Bacall and Dorothy Malone from. Google sovled that problem for me, but it was a bit distracting. Lauren Bacall’s voice especially is extremely distinctive.

1. 3 Responses to “Written on the Wind – Marylee and Color”

2.   By Diane Seewald on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Marylee clothes are inappropriate, but I agree with you that Marylee makes the dresses seem appropriate. I also, found the music that they play when she is on screen appropriate to her sexual orientation. These things make a character memorable.

3.   By Sinyee Cindy Leung on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Glad you note the color of tbe custome! Because I was wondering if there was any meanings for the idea of the frequent use of blue color. When Kyle and Lucy first come together, they both are in blue. I was wondering if Sirk tried to indicate that these 2 people would be soon had a relationship by using the color of the costume.

4.   By jwolpoe on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Whoa, I didn’t even think of that. I feel like re-watching the movie just to track the colors of clothes.

The first time I noticed blue was in the opening sequence, actually. The outside (sky and shadows) were all blue which highlighted Kyle’s bright car. But the insides were all in shades of red or pink. It struck me very had – blue was the cold outside that Kyle tore through, and red was the warm, maybe safe, definitely passionate inside.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.